Monday 15 January 2007

East or West?

Dear Sir / Madam,

By the time you receive this letter, my journey will already be underway, pushing forward the boundaries of our known world in the name of Caledon.

For the record I wish to inform you of my preparations and plans and I hope that, should anything happen to me, future explorers may find this information useful, see where I may have made a bad decision or assumption and learn from my mistakes.

I have spent the evening and morning preparing a hot air balloon as my main means of transportation. This seemed to be the most sensible choice as at least one sea crossing will be involved. The increased elevation of the balloon should assist in spotting the continent and will allow for lifting above cloud cover to take navigational readings from the sun or stars, as required. As it was this very balloon that I had originally intended to use to reach the mainland and establish our colony (until Mr Sputnik’s kind offer of transportation in much greater comfort), I have already taken her for several test flights and feel I have the measure of what she is capable of. I am more than happy to put my life in the hands of this capable little craft.

For the journey I have packed the rather fine Ordinal Enterprises Webley and flare pistol (the two essential items I take with me whenever venturing some distance from our camp), suitable provisions and sundry repair and trade items, including blankets. I have taken a little of the local coinage, but sadly do not possess any of the precious metal called “Bling” that the natives seem to covet so greatly. I also have a small cage of Miss Begonia’s homing butterflies that can carry my messages back to the colony and from there on to Caledon.

I have tried heading directly North out into the sea, but the ferocious grid winds tear at the canvas and I am always blown back to shore. I suspect there may be an unusual wind tunnel effect occurring between the two land masses. However, I have heard that there is a sheltered route to the West of our current location in Penan. This was my original course but during a visit yesterday evening, the renowned Caledonian inventor Mr Webb revealed to me that some charts of the mainland indicate safe passage to the East.

I have, therefore, decided to head Eastward, hugging the coastline in search of this fabled route to the North..

Please note that I am attaching this paragraph without the knowledge of Miss Begonia, as such thoughts would only upset her, but I am fully aware of the realities and dangers of the situation in which I am to place myself. If I do not return please ensure that Miss Begonia is fully taken care of and that all rights, deeds and profits of the colony are transferred into her name.


Your Faithful Servant,

Prof. Alfonso Avalanche

No comments: